Monday, November 21, 2011

INTERVIEW: Impending Doom



GENRE: Metal/Christian
HOMETOWN: Riverside, CA
LABEL: eOne Music
BIO: Impending Doom is an American Metal band from Riverside, California. Formed in 2005, jumped right into the touring lifestyle and gained their success very quickly. The band has released 1 e.p. and 3 full length records, selling over 70,000 records world wide. Signed by Facedown Records from 2007-2010. In 2011 the band signed a deal with eOne Records. Come see the band in a city near you!
SOUNDS LIKE: In The Midst Of Lions, Whitechapel, Oceano, Molotov Solution, 
A Plea For Purging, With Blood Comes Cleansing, I Declare War


How did Impending Doom discover you?
We had all been friends since back in around 04 (me and Brook have known each other since 03, David and I since 05, Cory since 03). Cory and i were in XdeathstarX. He also innovated Sleeping Giant and I would mess around on bass with him. From there Cory and i stayed in touch and always talked and wondered if we'd ever be in a band again. One night I saw David go on Instant messenger and he NEVER goes on that thing...so I thought "lets see how doom is doing". So I proceeded to tell David, "Hey hows doom man? Ever need a fill in or help I'm here", (which I had always done in the past to them), David said "You never know man". Literally 10 minutes later he jumped online and said, "Hey..... Can you call me?". And of course I called him. He said that Isaac was moving on, they had to go to the studio in 2 weeks and didnt have a drummer. Of course I took the position, learned the songs by listening for about a week, then practiced several hours with them the week before the actual session in the studio. Funny thing is how powerful prayer really is. I had prayed so hard for anything to come about because prior I had lost a marriage, lost a great job, barely had a place to live. It was rough. And now here I am enjoying a great ride with my brothers taking it day by day seeing what God has in store next. 

Were you in any other bands before joining Impending Doom?
Yes I was. Here is a little break down of it: 
Dying Dreams 2001-2001 (One EP with Mitch from Suicide silence) 
Suicide Silence 2002 (started with Chris Garza) 
The Final Burden 2002-2004 2 EPs 
Plague Of Sheol 2002-2006 (2 EPsgeoff brouliette of Sleeping Giant) 
xDEATHSTARx 2003-2006 (an EP and a full length Underneath The Gun 2007 fill in 
for 5 shows Mirror Of Dead Faces 2008-2009) (full length) 
Earth From Above 2008- almost recorded full length 
haha Darasuum 2009 (one EP) 
Gabe rosales Vital nonsense- One track (Jennifer Lopez, Christina Milan, Sen Dog-Cypress Hill, 
Nicole Sherzinger-Pussy Cat Dolls, Lynch Mob) 
Austrian Death Machine fill in Sonshine fest 2009 Impending Doom- There Will Be Violence

Can you describe Impending Doom's sound?
Heavy, Pissed, Angry, Dark, Passionate, Real.....

What was the inspiration behind the lyrics for your latest album, There Will Be Violence?
Basically the turmoil that is going to be brought on this world when judgment day comes. And no not tomorrow on May 21st like every ones saying haha. Dont put so much energy into this world when its all going to be nothing in the end. The world is going to be insane when the day comes. Generally there are a lot of other meanings brook has that are dear to his heart and I can't speak for those

What has been the most interesting tour with Impending Doom so far?
Hmmm... interesting? Probably the Co-Headline tour we did with Chimaira. Just a completely different crowd than what were used to. The shows were cool, but alot different than the Doom crowd.

What has been your favorite Impending Doom album?
Mine was "The Serpent Servant". It had a lot of everything. Plus they added Cory to the mix. Dude is brilliant when it comes to writing a song 

What has been the craziest thing to happen at a show?
Hmmm... I don't think there's been anything too shocking at a show since I've been in the band.... I guess for them, there was this one time at a show in VA beach a guy pulled a gun out at the show. That's pretty crazy

Are you guys currently working on a new album?
Yes. We are writing. Slowly but surely it's coming along.

Are there any bands/musicians that you look up to when it comes to writing? 
Yikes. That list goes on and on for me. For the band as a whole I can say Slipknot, Deftones, Pantera, sevendust, karnivool, radiohead... I'm probably missing some important ones but those are primary up to date bands that will always influence us.

Any closing words?
Thank you for choosing to interview me. 
Hope to see you on the road and anyone else who reads this. 
Thanks!

Impending Doom is:
Brook Reeves - Vocals
Cory Johnson - Guitars
David Sittig - Bass
Brandon "Btown" Trahan - Drums

No comments:

Post a Comment